August 3, 2011

Beet Cake

That's right, I made a cake with beets. Sounds strange, yet you've probably heard of this particular cake by it's more common name: red velvet. Yes! There is a reason for red velvet cake! It's not just some quasi-chocolate cake into which someone decided to throw heinous amounts of food coloring. In fact, my own personal opinion is that this was the original "deceptively delicious" concept: throw a vegetable in a cake, cover the very slight odd flavor with a bit of chocolate, give it a pretty-sounding name and voila! Kids will eat their veggies. Anyway, on to the cake.

I found the recipe here at Sophistimom. After having made it, I don't think the recipe is perfect. For me it yielded an incredibly heavy cake and I could taste the lemon too much and the chocolate not enough. I made some modifications (though I warn you, I haven't tested them yet) and you can find my version of the recipe here. I'm excited to try it again with the changes; it was good enough the first time that I think a second try will be fantastic!



P.S. Special thanks to my sister-in-law Katherine for coming over to make the cake with me, and particularly for peeling the "beets from h*ll." You're the best!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will totally make more cake with you... if you should want company while making it. I have been thinking about it and trying to think of different natural ingredients that would turn it red as well. -K

Heidi Miller said...

Looks really good. My mom has a recipe for a chocolate cake called Unbeetable Chocolate cake. It isn't like this one...it actually just looks like a regular old chocolate cake, but is seriously the moistest :) choco cake I Have ever had. I wanna try to make this one! Yum!

Suzanna H. said...

YAY! I'm so glad you made it!

Lorri said...

So part of my brother's internship this summer is to develop a red velvet cookie for the company he is interning with and he just asked me what the essential flavor of red velvet is - if only I had read this first because I had no idea it contained beets!